Friends of Monument Valley Park
Park Maps

Monument Valley Park is divided into two sections, split by Uintah Avenue.  The northern half of the park from Monroe to Uintah has by design been left primarily a natural woods and meadows, although the northern half has sports fields and playground too. 

The southern section, from Uintah to Bijou, is organized in a number of more formal gardens.  The city's first public swimming pool is also located in the southern portion of the park along with public tennis courts and picnic pavilions. 

 Monument Valley Park Map (North)

 




1.       COLUMBIA STREET ENTRANCE

Features a WPA (Works Progress Administra-

tion) rockwork entrance wall with stairs and bench.  It is one of the largest and most elaborate walls found in the park.  (Built circa 1935)

 

2.       SCENIC VIEWPOINT

WPA wall and bench.

 

3.       PICNIC AREA

 

4.       NORTH END BASEBALL FIELD

 

5.       PLAYGROUND AND SWINGS

 

6.       RESTROOMS

 

7.       OVERLOOK

Rustic steps and a footbridge lead to overlook.   

8.       GEOLOGIC COLUMN

The column was built at General Palmer’s request by Edmund C. van Diest in the years 1904-07.  It shows the series of rock forma-tions found between Ute Pass and Austin Bluffs.   

 

Each layer shows the type and relative thickness of the local rock formations.  The stone was quarried from Queen’s Canyon above General Palmer’s Glen Eyrie home.

 

9.       BODDINGTON FIELD

Today’s soccer field is the former site of a reservoir that provided irrigation to the entire park.  The reservoir was fed by the El Paso Canal, which dried up in 1956.

DID YOU KNOW?

*The park stretches for 2 miles along the creek.

 

*Most of the original park was destroyed by the devastating Memorial Day Flood in 1935.  Much of it was repaired by the Works Progress Administration.

 

*The park is the site of the only aboveground spring in Colorado Springs.

 

Map distributed by The Friends of Monument Valley Park.  www.fmvp.net  Thanks to Thomas & Thomas for providing the

2005 Master Plan map to the Friends for use in creating this map.

 Monument Valley Park Map (South)







1.       ORIGINAL STONE ENTRY ARCH TO PARK

Gateway made of river rock.  (Built circa 1904)

 

2.       FORMAL GARDEN

Formal Garden flower beds (currently unplanted).  Roses bloom on nearby overlook.

 

3.       PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE OVER CREEK

 

4.       TREES OF THE NATIONAL SOCIETY DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN COLONISTS

Thirteen evergreen trees representing the colors of the American flag (red cedar, white pine, and blue spruce) were planted by the Society in 1948 in a semi-circle facing a replica of Plymouth Rock. (Twelve trees are present today.)

 

5.       TAHAMA SPRING

Discovered in 1880.  It is the city’s only aboveground spring, but it is now capped.

All that remains of the Spanish-style octagonal pavilion that covered the spring is the cement

foundation.  The spring is named after Tahama (The Rising Moose), a Sioux Indian Chief who is said to have been a scout for and a friend of Lt. Zebulon Pike.

 

6.       BASEBALL/SOFTBALL FIELD

The grandstand’s walls were built of native granite by WPA (Works Progress Administration) workers.  (Grandstand built circa 1935)

 

7.       VOLLEYBALL COURT

 

8.       PIKES PEAK GREENWAY TRAIL

 

9.       SHADOW LAKE

One of four original lakes in the park.  A WPA rockwork wall with benches is on the east side of the lake.  Sadly, the lake is slowly draining.

 

10.   PENROSE BATHHOUSE AND POOL (Built in 1914)

The city’s first swimming pool and mission style bathhouse were gifts from Spencer Penrose.

11.   PENROSE PAVILION (Built in 1911)

Designed by T. MacLaren and C. Thomas.

 

12.   RESTROOMS

 

13.   PLAYGROUND AND BASKETBALL COURTS

 

14.   PEDESTRIAN BRIDGE OVER I-25

 

15.   TENNIS COURTS

 

16.   CARLTON BANDSTAND (Built in 1916)

Donated by Mrs. A.E. Carlton and designed by Thomas MacLaren and Charles Thomas.

 

17.   MESA ROAD BRIDGE (Built 1935)

Features an intricate rail, cast metal lampposts and an Art Deco chevron design on the fascia.

 

18.   HORTICULTURAL ART SOCIETY GARDEN

Demonstration Garden maintained by the Horticultural Art Society.

19.   GENERAL PALMER’S FORMER OFFICE AND GREENHOUSES

The current caretaker’s residence was the site of General Palmer’s office during the park’s construction.  The greenhouses provide flowers for the city’s flower beds.

 

20.   DUCK POND AND WILLOW HAVEN

 

21.   TWO STONE OBELISKS OF NATIVE ROCK

The two stone pillars mark the original secondary entrance to the park.

 

22.   HERITAGE GARDEN

Van Briggle tiles adorn the low brick walls.

A beautiful American Elm grows to the north of the garden.

 

23.   PINETUM (A PLANTATION OF PINE TREES)

A rare 70 year old Lacebark Pine grows in the middle of the grove.  It is the only one in Colo- rado and may be the only one west of St. Louis.

Website Builder